Skip to main content

Something You May Not Know About Me


 Something you may not know about me:  It's all my grandma's fault.  She used to travel to Albuquerque, NM to the balloon festival they had every year.  She'd go around talking to people and taking pictures.  Then she'd  write up an article about it and sell it to the local newspaper, The Conroe Courier.  I asked her one time if she ever went up in the balloons, and she said no, she didn't want to go in one - she just liked looking at them.  I thought that was crazy - you should go up in one, right?  So that's how a hot air balloon ride was put on my bucket list.

Fast forward a few years.

For Valentine's Day in 2016 my husband of almost 25 years (anniversary is in April) informed me that he bought us a ticket to ride on a hot air balloon.  I was shocked.  I always pictured my ride on the balloon tied to a rope and going straight up, then straight down. I wasn't sure I could handle a balloon RIDE.  It took us until NOVEMBER for me to get the guts to go.

Actually, that was a really hard year because I kept climbing the bath scale praying like a crazy person that I didn't gain too much weight.  There's a weight limit, and I was creeping up the scale (probably from all the stress of worrying about it!).  I even had to have Russ give me a blessing the night before because I was so anxious about it and I didn't want to need anxiety meds, but I was afraid I might give the pilot a hard time because of the anxiety.

We were also concerned because we were from out of town (Blackfoot to Boise - Idaho) and the weather had been bad for balloon rides all week.  So we were hoping and praying we would even get to go.  This was the sunrise we rose up to:


It was a BEAUTIFUL morning, and the time seemed to SOAR.  I enjoyed it so much - it was everything you expect it to be.  The leaves were changing colors under us, and while we were all in coats, the fire from the hot air balloon kept us all snuggie warm.   We went over some parks and a dam, and then we went over a school and a residential area.  Here are two snapshots of the views:



We landed on a golf course.  The pilot let Russ and a few people out of the basket.  There were only three women including myself left in the balloon when a gust of wind picked us up and we shot up 500 feet in the air.  Russ scared me because he was hanging onto the rope and his feet were 10 feet off the ground before he heard me yell at him, "LET GO!"   He dropped to the ground and immediately rose up and said, "I'm okay!"  

I was happy though - I wasn't ready for the ride to be over, it was so lovely and peaceful up there.  So I enjoyed my little excursion all by myself.  :)  Here's a photo of me in the balloon at 500 feet - Russ took it from the ground:


We got to watch them fold everything up and then we had sparkling apple cider with the pilot and his wife drove us back to our car.  As she said, "It's like floating on a cloud."  I agree - it really is.

For Christmas I made the above collage and sent it to Grandma in Texas.  Mom tells me it made her happy that I finally had a hot air balloon ride.  :)

Now it's your turn....  What's something that folks may or may not know about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daddy

My daddy and I Christmas 1974 Lately thoughts of my dad have been coming up.  He died in 2008 with colon cancer.  It wasn't an easy thing to deal with, and the grieving process seems to be slow. When my grandma died in March, I was struck with this overwhelming feeling of loss.  Not just her death, but all the ones that had preceded it.  Grandparents, my dad, great aunts and uncles...  a whole generation, gone, and my dad was the first of the next.  And I thought about how I wished I could talk to dad, and just have that fatherly voice in my life.   To be able to connect with him and hear his thoughts on things. Remember I said I was in burnout the last time I blogged?  Well, I am pulling out of it.  I took some time and worked through a little book called Make It Happen by Lara Casey.  I'll blog more about that later - it's enough now to say, her questions kept bringing up some interesting answers for me, and my dad kept coming to mind. Last night at 2:30

Organized... again.

I have been hesitant to write about religious things for a long time now.  I guess you might say I allowed the opinions of others to bother me...  I didn't want to be one of those that trivialized the scriptures, or made life seem more perfect than it is.  Being LDS does not mean everything is going to go smooth in your life.  It's more realistic to say that it doesn't. But I was listening to a 2017 Time Out For Women talk, and in it Laurel C Day  showed a clip of an address that Elder Holland gave.  He said, "Be of good cheer.  We are COMMANDED to be of good cheer."  And I thought to myself, "Oops."  I know that's something I've been lacking in, so I started looking for ways to have "good cheer," and I remembered that sharing what I've learned about gospel principles makes me happy.  So I'm going to write this, and I am just going to hope that even though I tend to wax long winded on gospel subjects, it will be okay to th

There is only one day one.

Today's yummy  BLE lunch I restarted my BLE journey several times in the months of November and December.  I couldn't seem to get grounded.  I'd start in the morning, and by the time evening rolled around I was popping chocolates out of the Russell Stover boxes I had bought for the kids.  There's a term I started saying to myself: "Bad Mommy." New Years rolled around and I got better, but still struggling.  Struggling with chips, chocolate and fruit snacks.  That's it!  Just eliminate those three things from the planet and I was fine.  Except I'm not.  It was a really, really hard fall.   And then the other night I really poured my heart out to Heavenly Father.  I told him I was drowning, that I wasn't doing super hot with this diet thing anymore, and I really needed some strength from beyond myself.  I felt like I was in chaos, and I wanted peace.  This morning this thought came to me: "In that moment you are in control