Skip to main content

Child's Play

One of my childhood faves

I have a vivid imagination. Always have! I will tell you, I do come by it honestly. My Grandmother tells stories of my Dad tucking a sheet into his shirt, climbing to the roof, and jumping off, believing he was Superman. No broken bones, he just figured out that you really had to be from the planet Krypton in order to fly.

Well, already being predisposed to this type of fanciful imagination, I remember a few important movies/TV shows that effected my play. In the pool, I would only swim with my feet together, kicking like Darryl Hannah in Splash. I wasn't in the pool in the back yard or at a pool party... I was a beautiful mermaid swimming in the depths of the ocean near the city of Atlantis. How I loved to watch my hair float around my face! I could swim for hours that way, completely oblivious to the antics of the other kids around me.

Then there was Star Wars! I had my favorite white t-shirt I had taken from my dad's chest of drawers (it hung down to me knees). I'd put a rope around my waist and clip a flashlight to it. Luke Skywalker and I cruised the stars at night, my trusty "light saber" in hand, depending on Han Solo and Chewbacca to save us from time to time when the mission got to be a little more perilous than we had bargained for. I remember jumping from the bed to my window seat, then leaping to the floor...

My Dad would yell up the stairs, "What are you DOING up there?"

I'd yell back down, "NOTHING!"

Dad would say, "Well, that NOTHING sounds really loud!"

So now you know that when your child tells you they're doing "nothing", it's just they don't want to take the time to explain to you that the dreaded Imperial Army is at their tail and they're in the middle of a light saber fight with Darth Vader!

I grew up on a farm. When I went to do chores it gave the perfect opportunity for me to transport myself into history to play the antics of Laura Ingalls. I was so in love with Michael Landon - I thought he'd be a great dad, next to my own, of course. So while I watched my mom milk the cow, I threw the chickens their feed and collected eggs. I would skip through the pasture and pretend Mary and I were going to "get that Nellie Olsen". I had a jewelry box just like the one in the Little House on the Prairie show, and I''d use that as one of my favorite props.

Now I've passed on the tradition. My boys hammer away at Lego's, creating these elaborate erections.  They run to me, pulling me into their room, all excited to show me their "machines". I get a kick out of watching Iris as she serves "tea" to some imaginary someone sitting across from her, or she'll change into new outfits and chat with an invisible companion about which outfit makes her look prettier. I remember my older girls (who don't do imaginary play anymore) giggling and laughing as they climbed trees, one pretending to be a tiger chasing the other.
Imagination - it's the best toy money can't buy! :)

Now it's your turn:  What does the prompt, "Child's Play" bring to your mind?  For family history you could write about popular toys or games of that era.  Personal histories could be of your own childhood, or things you see your children/grandchildren doing today.  Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Organized... again.

I have been hesitant to write about religious things for a long time now.  I guess you might say I allowed the opinions of others to bother me...  I didn't want to be one of those that trivialized the scriptures, or made life seem more perfect than it is.  Being LDS does not mean everything is going to go smooth in your life.  It's more realistic to say that it doesn't. But I was listening to a 2017 Time Out For Women talk, and in it Laurel C Day  showed a clip of an address that Elder Holland gave.  He said, "Be of good cheer.  We are COMMANDED to be of good cheer."  And I thought to myself, "Oops."  I know that's something I've been lacking in, so I started looking for ways to have "good cheer," and I remembered that sharing what I've learned about gospel principles makes me happy.  So I'm going to write this, and I am just going to hope that even though I tend to wax long winded on gospel subjects, it will be okay to th

Daddy

My daddy and I Christmas 1974 Lately thoughts of my dad have been coming up.  He died in 2008 with colon cancer.  It wasn't an easy thing to deal with, and the grieving process seems to be slow. When my grandma died in March, I was struck with this overwhelming feeling of loss.  Not just her death, but all the ones that had preceded it.  Grandparents, my dad, great aunts and uncles...  a whole generation, gone, and my dad was the first of the next.  And I thought about how I wished I could talk to dad, and just have that fatherly voice in my life.   To be able to connect with him and hear his thoughts on things. Remember I said I was in burnout the last time I blogged?  Well, I am pulling out of it.  I took some time and worked through a little book called Make It Happen by Lara Casey.  I'll blog more about that later - it's enough now to say, her questions kept bringing up some interesting answers for me, and my dad kept coming to mind. Last night at 2:30

25 Reasons Why I Chose You (Plus One)

I chose you because you were strong in the gospel. I chose you because you loved the Lord. I chose you because you held me when I cried. I chose you because you made me laugh. I chose you because you let me be me. I chose you because I had fun with you. I chose you because you had dreams and ambitions. I chose you because you're gorgeous. I chose you because you promised me a happy life. I chose you because you were good with your siblings. I chose you because you made me feel sexy and beautiful. I chose you because you challenged me. I chose you because you needed me. I chose you because we both crazy about books. I chose you because you recognize my talents. I chose you because you believed in me. I chose you because I believed in you. I chose you because you were there for me. I chose you because you never left. I chose you because you are kind and generous. I chose you because I knew you'