Skip to main content

Try/Fail Until You Try/Succeed




Monday at the chiropractor's I had an epiphany. This guy is trying to straighten out my spine, which is twisted (scoliosis) and is why I have so much lower back pain, sciatic nerve issues, knee and ankle issues, and so forth. It's nuts! He did what I call his "karate chop" on my... it's not the pelvis but starts with an "S".... anyway, he did this incredibly painful but amazing thing that he does, and then I got up from the "torture table" and he was reassuring me that because it had been twisted for so long he needed to redo and redo and redo until my body decides, "Hey, I'm getting kinda used to this new way of a straightened spine."

Which I already knew - this kind of healing takes time and diligence. But as he was talking I had this epiphany about new habits. I was thinking of how many times I have had to renew my dedication to something before it really became a part of me. And how many times do we have to repent before we really "get" it? I know sometimes it's instant - like me going off wheat. The moment the doctor said, "Your test results say you're allergic," I was over wheat. BOOM. Drop mic, whatever. But this getting up early thing, and writing “X” amount of words everyday, etc. etc... not the easiest things I've asked of myself.  I've always said I can out project anyone, but it's the long term daily habits that I have choked on.

As Matthew Broderick said in the movie Ladyhawke, "I know I promised, Lord, never again, but I also know, YOU know what a weak willed person I am." LOVE that line, because I soooo relate to it.

In Bright Line Eating we have this thing called "Rezoom."  If you find yourself having a moment where you've muddied your bright lines.. say you ate something with sugar in it or you ate more than your three meals, the counsel is to REZOOM IMMEDIATELY.  Recommit to yourself, forgive yourself, and move forward at that moment with the program.  When I first heard it, it reminded me of the repentance process.

Anyway, while the chiropractor was talking I had all this running through my head and I was thinking how new good habits "heal" us from old ones, and how we have to give it time and "snap back into place" regularly until it becomes second nature. And his comment on healing made me think of how it's EXPECTED. He expects my back to twist again - that's why I have to see him in two weeks. So maybe when we fall off whatever wagon we're trying to stay on, instead of getting frustrated, maybe we should be glad that we're one fall closer to "healing" - to the new habit we're challenging ourselves through positive choices to create.

Take it a step further – Because after all, every week we RENEW our baptismal covenants, right?  So then, how much charity might we have for another when we recognize the pattern of trying and failing until we try and get it right?  The important thing is that like Elder Holland and President Hinckley admonished us all, “Don't quit.”

QUOTES:
“Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come.”  ~ Elder Jeffery R Holland, “An High Priest of Good Things to Come,”  October 1999

“Please don’t nag yourselves with thoughts of failure. Do not set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. Simply do what you can do, in the best way you know how, and the Lord will accept your effort.” ~ President Gordon B. Hinckley, “Rise to the Stature of the Divine within You,” October 1989

“You have not failed until you have quit trying.” ~ President Gordon B Hinckley, “Live Up to Your Inheritance,” October 1983

Alma 32:21-43 (Likening habits to faith, and having faith to experiment)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Organized... again.

I have been hesitant to write about religious things for a long time now.  I guess you might say I allowed the opinions of others to bother me...  I didn't want to be one of those that trivialized the scriptures, or made life seem more perfect than it is.  Being LDS does not mean everything is going to go smooth in your life.  It's more realistic to say that it doesn't. But I was listening to a 2017 Time Out For Women talk, and in it Laurel C Day  showed a clip of an address that Elder Holland gave.  He said, "Be of good cheer.  We are COMMANDED to be of good cheer."  And I thought to myself, "Oops."  I know that's something I've been lacking in, so I started looking for ways to have "good cheer," and I remembered that sharing what I've learned about gospel principles makes me happy.  So I'm going to write this, and I am just going to hope that even though I tend to wax long winded on gospel subjects, it will be okay to th

Daddy

My daddy and I Christmas 1974 Lately thoughts of my dad have been coming up.  He died in 2008 with colon cancer.  It wasn't an easy thing to deal with, and the grieving process seems to be slow. When my grandma died in March, I was struck with this overwhelming feeling of loss.  Not just her death, but all the ones that had preceded it.  Grandparents, my dad, great aunts and uncles...  a whole generation, gone, and my dad was the first of the next.  And I thought about how I wished I could talk to dad, and just have that fatherly voice in my life.   To be able to connect with him and hear his thoughts on things. Remember I said I was in burnout the last time I blogged?  Well, I am pulling out of it.  I took some time and worked through a little book called Make It Happen by Lara Casey.  I'll blog more about that later - it's enough now to say, her questions kept bringing up some interesting answers for me, and my dad kept coming to mind. Last night at 2:30

25 Reasons Why I Chose You (Plus One)

I chose you because you were strong in the gospel. I chose you because you loved the Lord. I chose you because you held me when I cried. I chose you because you made me laugh. I chose you because you let me be me. I chose you because I had fun with you. I chose you because you had dreams and ambitions. I chose you because you're gorgeous. I chose you because you promised me a happy life. I chose you because you were good with your siblings. I chose you because you made me feel sexy and beautiful. I chose you because you challenged me. I chose you because you needed me. I chose you because we both crazy about books. I chose you because you recognize my talents. I chose you because you believed in me. I chose you because I believed in you. I chose you because you were there for me. I chose you because you never left. I chose you because you are kind and generous. I chose you because I knew you'