Skip to main content

From the Idea Jar... Self Reliance


I'm taking the Personal Finances class in the Self Reliant courses that are offered by the church and enjoying them very much.  A lot of it is review for me, but that doesn't mean I'm not learning anything.  In fact, I have come to understand some principles in a deeper way, and I find myself doing things that I "should" have done long ago;  things I knew I needed and wanted to do, but never seemed to find the time or remember.

Don't underestimate the power of a positive group environment.  And even if you think you already know all there is to know about this stuff...  trust me.  The Lord can teach you more.  ;)

One of the things I struggle with is the balance of TIME.  Finances too...  but I'll get to that later after I do the budget.  I want to share something about time.  If you've ever listened to Dave Ramsey or taken a course on finances, you've probably heard the concept of:


1) Receive Income --> 2) Pay Tithes and Offerings --> 
3) Build Financial Security --> 4) Pay Current Living Expenses (and then debt snowball)

The principle is to have faith that you WILL have enough.  You pay the Lord first, because all that you have is a gift from him, and then you pay yourself to build security.  The last thing you do is pay your living expenses, as well as any entertainment, holidays, etc. etc. etc.  THE LAST THING.



In time management, I'm sure you've heard of the analogy of filling the jar with rocks first, and then sand.  If you haven't, here it is:  Try filling a jar with some sand, and then put in all your rocks.  It doesn't work.  But if you put the rocks in first and then the sand, it all fits.  So it is with money, and with time.  When you prioritize, you do (or pay) the important things first, and then do (or pay) all the other little things.  This is how you get it all done/paid.

Except, no one ever tells you how to prioritize time, right?  That's up to YOU.  Well, maybe we have more counsel on that too.

Go back to that formula:  Receive income, pay tithes and offerings, build financial security, and then pay current living expenses.  What if we applied that to our TIME:

Receive the day (wake up, shower and dress... etc) --> 
Say a prayer and read our scriptures --> 
Invest in ourselves --> And then go about our day.

It's really simple!  And yes, you might have to get up earlier.  Right now I'm up at 5:00 am.  But what does the scriptures say about that?

"Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated."  ~  D&C 88:124

I was a night owl.  Out of all the things I asked myself to do this year, including giving up sugar, THIS thing - this getting up early thing - has been the hardest.  I wish I was up to 4:00am...  I still have a ways to go.  There are some mornings I sleep in to 6:00am and ohhhh boy!  My life just doesn't run as smooth as when I get up at 5:00am!

Anyway, whether you choose to change when you get up in the morning or maybe just move things around on your priority schedule...  just give the idea a try.  I think you'll be amazed at the results, whatever they look like, since every one's idea of investing in themselves looks different.  For some that might mean exercise, or maybe reading a "how-to" book.  It might mean writing on a research paper that is due (maybe not finishing, but you'll feel better throughout the day knowing that when you get home you've already gotten a chunk of it done!), or maybe you're personal investment is in the form of sending out resumes.

Whatever your goals, right after scripture and prayer before the world gets moving and shaking is prime time!  I'm saying that because I'm living it, and I am astonished over the difference.  It really is amazing!


Free photos from the site Pixabay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daddy

My daddy and I Christmas 1974 Lately thoughts of my dad have been coming up.  He died in 2008 with colon cancer.  It wasn't an easy thing to deal with, and the grieving process seems to be slow. When my grandma died in March, I was struck with this overwhelming feeling of loss.  Not just her death, but all the ones that had preceded it.  Grandparents, my dad, great aunts and uncles...  a whole generation, gone, and my dad was the first of the next.  And I thought about how I wished I could talk to dad, and just have that fatherly voice in my life.   To be able to connect with him and hear his thoughts on things. Remember I said I was in burnout the last time I blogged?  Well, I am pulling out of it.  I took some time and worked through a little book called Make It Happen by Lara Casey.  I'll blog more about that later - it's enough now to say, her questions kept bringing up some interesting answers for me, and my dad kept coming to mind. Last night at 2:30

Organized... again.

I have been hesitant to write about religious things for a long time now.  I guess you might say I allowed the opinions of others to bother me...  I didn't want to be one of those that trivialized the scriptures, or made life seem more perfect than it is.  Being LDS does not mean everything is going to go smooth in your life.  It's more realistic to say that it doesn't. But I was listening to a 2017 Time Out For Women talk, and in it Laurel C Day  showed a clip of an address that Elder Holland gave.  He said, "Be of good cheer.  We are COMMANDED to be of good cheer."  And I thought to myself, "Oops."  I know that's something I've been lacking in, so I started looking for ways to have "good cheer," and I remembered that sharing what I've learned about gospel principles makes me happy.  So I'm going to write this, and I am just going to hope that even though I tend to wax long winded on gospel subjects, it will be okay to th

There is only one day one.

Today's yummy  BLE lunch I restarted my BLE journey several times in the months of November and December.  I couldn't seem to get grounded.  I'd start in the morning, and by the time evening rolled around I was popping chocolates out of the Russell Stover boxes I had bought for the kids.  There's a term I started saying to myself: "Bad Mommy." New Years rolled around and I got better, but still struggling.  Struggling with chips, chocolate and fruit snacks.  That's it!  Just eliminate those three things from the planet and I was fine.  Except I'm not.  It was a really, really hard fall.   And then the other night I really poured my heart out to Heavenly Father.  I told him I was drowning, that I wasn't doing super hot with this diet thing anymore, and I really needed some strength from beyond myself.  I felt like I was in chaos, and I wanted peace.  This morning this thought came to me: "In that moment you are in control